Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Greetings from Ukraine

Hello from Ukraine.  This is our first blog post of hopefully many more to come.  I finally have the blog up and running.  This blog is a private blog.  My understanding is since it is a private blog there is no notification sent by Blogger to let you know I've posted something.  So, the plan is to send a group email to let everyone know that either Vivian or I have posted something.  I am not going to hold myself to any particular schedule.  We will post as we have something interesting (we think) to share and hopefully you will enjoy it too.  Sometimes we may post something just to see if we can connect with our family and friends.  So....

A brief summary

We arrived in Kyiv on August 15 after spending the previous week at the Provo Missionary Training Center.  More to come on this in a subsequent post including pictures.  We've spent the past month getting settled in our apartment, learning how we can get around using public transportation and a lot of shoe leather.  Also, figuring out where to get our groceries, dry cleaning, hair cuts and a myriad of other details regarding daily living that we've taken for granted.  We've gotten to know the other senior missionary couples a little, the office elders and the missionaries, Elders and Sisters, in our district.  They have all been life savers for us as we get settled in a very foreign country...more on the country in future blogs.  

Thank you

The last time we saw most of you was at the sacrament meeting we spoke at and/or the farewell open house later that day.  That day remains for us an incredible experience.  Any time I'm feeling a little blue I think back to a month ago and my spirits are picked up.  The Temple Hill Choir's flash mob will be a hard one to top.  Thank you so much.  Vivian and I hope to share this adventure with you.  We value your love and friendship.  So...look for many more blogs as we chronicle our experiences.


After sacrament meeting on July 30th with a few of the notibles...Rojohn & Merilee Rieta, Tom Farris, Vivian & Gary Foley, Aimee Roylance and Ron Pickett
















17 comments:

  1. Great so far, Gary! Thanks for including us in your experience. I'm sure it will be quite a ride! Our best to you both,
    Susan & Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you. Thank you. Please let Jim know he hasn't accepted the Google invitation to join the blog as a reader. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I'm excited for your grand adventure. And I'm glad your suits will be properly cleaned. Phew! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe this is Diane Gamblin. Right? And my white shirts get laundered.

      Delete
  3. Awesome blog idea. Miss you guys already. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. Glad you are able to see the blog. Please let Stan know he hasn't accepted my invite to view the blog. And we are trying our best to be safe...transportation is crazy though.

      Delete
  4. You've mastered the technology for blogging! You'll have to teach me! Looking forward to many more posts! (Denise Plaskett--I'm on my tablet and I think this is not recognizing my Google account....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you are able to see the blog so I'm not sure about the tablet not recognizing your account. Isn't technology fun. Blogger is a pretty easy way to go, especially if you find a tutorial on the internet explaining it all. I did. It was the only way I was going to get this set up. I don't believe Gary has accepted his invite to read the blog.

      Delete
  5. I'm in! Thanks for the re-invite! Looking forward to reading about your adventures, challenges and successes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the name you guys decided on for the Blog! (Although I feel Vivian picked it and you agreed😜)
    Can't wait to see lots of pictures and show them to the kids. Ryan is still having trouble realizing that you will be far away for a long time. We all miss you but are excited to hear about your adventures😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're right about the name. I picked the font however. We'll get some pictures up this week. By the time Ryan figures it all out we'll be home. Love that little guy. Thanks for replying. Hearing from the Fam really helps us. Take care.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto the approval of your blog title! I'm so excited to follow along on your grand adventures! We can't wait to see Lots of pictures. sending all our love. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark and I cannot wait to hear all your missionary stories!

    ReplyDelete